Online gaming was quietly bubbling away in the 80s and 90s, but a lack of widely accessible technology meant it couldn’t hit its true potential until the 21st century. Nowadays, online gaming is everywhere, from remarkably successful console gaming titles such as Fortnite to popular mobile games, including Genshin Impact. Players can enjoy a wide variety of game types and genres, with many options available for free.
While it’s easy to find fantastic online games in 2022, it can be harder to choose what platform to play on. Many people prefer mobile online gaming because they can play on the move, although some diehard gaming enthusiasts would never play on anything other than their desktop computer. Keep reading for a comprehensive overview of how to choose between desktop and mobile gaming in 2022.
Types of desktop and mobile games
Players have an extraordinary amount of choice regarding desktop and mobile games in 2022. Before we delve deeper into the pros and cons of each platform, check out some of the main types of games you can enjoy:
- Online casino: Online casino games such as slots or video roulette have become incredibly popular over the last two decades. Technology in the industry is advancing at an impressive rate, as proven by complex new games like Big Time Gaming’s Megaways series. There are thousands of options on desktop or mobile platforms, providing a versatile spectrum of choices. Check out some of the top UK online casinos on online casino review website CTO for the best experience.
- Strategy games: Modern online strategy games come in all sorts of shapes and sizes in 2022. Popular mobile options include titles such as Clash of Clans or Plague Inc., while classic desktop strategy games such as Rollercoaster Tycoon or Sim City will never get old.
- FPS online games: Online first-person shooter games are generally played on desktops due to the better graphics and easier controls. There are mobile versions of popular FPS titles such as Call of Duty, but they can be harder to control with the precision needed.
- Online RPG adventure games: Role playing games such as Runescape were some of the first online titles to hit a massive level of popularity. These open world adventure games are great fun and are perfectly suited to mobile gameplay.
How mobile games rose to the forefront
Mobile gaming has become incredibly popular over the last decade or so, but it took a while to get there. One of the main obstacles for developers in the early days was a lack of widely accessible technology. Old mobile phones could run things like Snake but not much else, making it difficult for developers to attract gamers from their desktops.
The rise of the smartphone, spearheaded by Apple’s iPhone, changed all of this. Worldwide mobile game revenue has risen from $63.01bn in 2017 to $164.10bn in 2022, and this is just the start. Analysts expect it to hit $241.40bn by 2027, exemplifying the power of mobile gaming in the 21st century.
Fun desktop games not to miss
It’s hard to make an decision between playing mobile or desktop games if you don’t know some of the best examples. Some of the best online desktop games to play in 2022 include:
- Grand Theft Auto Online
- Counter Strike: Global Offensive
- Rainbow Six Siege
- Rocket League
Mobile games generating excitement in 2022
The desktop games listed above are extremely absorbing, but you cannot always be at your desktop. This is where online mobile games come into their own, offering players hands-on entertainment while on the move. Here are a few of our favorite options currently:
- Raid: Shadow Legends
- League of Legends: Wild Rift
- PUBG Mobile
- Among Us
Desktop vs mobile games: Which one emerges victorious?
Choosing between desktop and mobile online games predominantly revolves around personal preference. Mobile games will be preferable if you’re constantly on the move due to their versatility. They allow you to have gaming fun while on your commute to work or daily walk, but you’ll need to have a top-tier powerbank to ensure you have enough charge to keep playing.
On the other hand, online desktop games are the best options for more serious gamers. Modern high-spec computers can run outrageously clear and HD graphics, meaning you can spot enemies easier in FPS games or enjoy the graphics in racing simulators such as Gran Turismo to a much higher degree.
Ultimately, the choice between mobile and desktop online gaming in 2022 comes down to you. Decide on what you want to get out of online gaming before making your choice based on the pros and cons of each.